Monday, December 14, 2015

The Maio Matador and Fukagawa Arita Pattern No. 904, Dec. 12 2015

Because I had such a fantastic score last weekend with the sewing machine and fabulous mid-century modern sewing table, my sights were set on sewing accessories.  We targeted two sales in Millington, sadly both sales had already been cleaned out of whatever sewing supplies had been there.  I'm going to have to resign myself to the fact that if I want a chance at sewing items I have to attend the first day!



The Deb Wade sale we attended must have had really great prices and items because there wasn't a lot left on Saturday.  But what was there was 50% off so we decided to scrounge.  I made my way to the kitchen items and was rewarded with a four piece set of Fukagawa Arita Pine Cone pattern no. 904 handpainted china made in Japan.  One of the serving bowls has several chips but the other serving bowl, gravy boat and sugar bowl are in great condition vintage condition.  Price for all four pieces, $15. The Fukagawa's were of great interest to us because we have an almost complete set of Fukagawa Arita New Mode pattern no. 728.  The New Mode pattern is very difficult to find, the Pine Cone pattern is more readily available.  Different patterns, same maker. I was good with that.  

I wandered to the back bedroom and found a pair of black gloves marked $2.  Mint condition and they fit.  I tucked the Fukagawa and gloves under the table indicating they were "sold" and wandered out to find my husband in the workshop.  










I've been interested lately in mid-century modern and have joined a lot of Facebook pages devoted to that time period.  One of them is called Mid Century Modern Kitsch.  There were quite a few things in the garage that qualified including a reproduction Matador painting by Maio.  I asked how much and was told $10 and that was the discounted price. My husband was horrified that I would even consider this atrocious thing but hey, I was viewing things with a new eye but not for $10.  $3 or 4 maybe but not $10, particularly when I was getting four pieces of Fukagawa for $7.50!  I did purchase a very nice hanging flower basket made of metal that will be great in the spring for $4.  We paid and went back inside to get the rest of our goods.

When I went to pay I realized I was $1.50 short, I only had $7 in cash left.  Thankfully the good folks let me have the gloves and Fukagawa for $7.