Monday, November 2, 2015

Quimper Sauciere


A friend introduced me to Quimper Faience back in the 1980's.  I don't have a vast collection and most of it dates from the late 1980's to mid 1990's.  In the past few years I've picked up a few pieces at estate sales and antique malls in the Memphis area.

I found my latest acquisition at an estate sale by A1 Appraisals & Estate Sales. 




It's a very lovely and well used sauciere. One handle is missing, a few chips can be seen and there is a very fine crack which is all but invisible to the naked eye but the colors and artwork are striking!  I had never seen a Quimper Sauciere before. I fell in love with it, imperfections and all. And who could beat the price?  $2.00!  

A quick google search came up with other sauciere's by Quimper but none that look like this one. Because of the pre-existing damage I've re-purposed it into a very lovely planter for my kitchen window.

P.S. That sweet little bluebird in the picture came from the estate sale along with some other items. More about those later.